Friday, October 23, 2009

Apple Picking


We went apple picking for the first time a few weeks ago. My sister's family goes every year and so they introduced us to the fun of it.

The boys had a blast! They loved it. We had two different varieties to choose from this time. My favorites; red delicious and some I'd never tried before that were yummy, golden delicious. You are allowed/encouraged to eat all the apples you want while in the field and then you buy ones to bring home. Carson had decided before we got there that he was going to pick 22 apples. I'm not sure where he got that number from, but he was certain and that's exactly how many he picked.

My sweet, little niece, Maeve, taught Nathan how to pick them and helped him to find some he could reach that were good ones. She showed him to twist the apple and pull and he got great at it.


All that picking sure can make you tired. Nathan was enjoying a warm cuddle with Daddy on the wagon ride back out of the orchard. It was a great day for everyone and it will definitely be a family tradition. Maybe even one we will continue with my sister's family. I know they have other crops of fruits at different times of the year as well. I can't wait until strawberry season. I'm sure Nathan will eat his money's worth while in the field.

2 comments:

Jo-Ann said...

Oh how fun! I wish we had fruit trees here, other then crab apples.

My parents live in BC and we have gone cherry picking with the boys. That was great fun. Will have to try a trip during apple picking season.

I bet they taste better then anything bought in a store!

The Stein Family said...

CUTE pics! I was looking for a place to pick apples around here -- the closest one is an hour away...but I have a have a recipe for an apple prailine upside down cake that I really want to try. Maybe we'll have to make the drive after all!